3.31.2005

the day after

Late night after returning home from Boston, I pulled up to the house with Jimi, unloaded my luggage, threw on my knit cap, ran down the stairs, out the door, and went for a jog. About 2 miles into the run as I was winding my way down Wake Drive I realized how amazing it is to live in a safe place. Without giving it any thought I left my house after 11 at night and went running through my towns streets and cutting through back roads and alleys. This is something I couldn't have done 24 hours earlier while I was in Boston. The thought of my safety never even crossed my mind last night, yet while in Boston we were in one of the roughest neighborhoods in the city. Just hours before we arrived a high school boy was shot on a city bus two blocks from the house where we stayed. Only a few weeks ago my friend who we crashed with had been jumped by 5 guys while walking down a major street. It would have been a stupid thing for me to leave the house by myself and go running. I'm not even sure what to do with this just yet, but I do know that I am truly blessed to live in a place where safety is a given and I want to help bring that atmosphere to the inner city.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Verse I Couldn't Remember At Dinner

And don't say anything you don't mean... You only make things worse when you lay down a smoke screen of pious talk, saying, "I'll pray for you," and never doing it, or saying, "God be with you," and not meaning it.

You don't make your words true by embellishing them with religious lace. In making your speech sound more religious, it becomes less true.

Matthew 5:34-36 (MSG)

jed dearing said...

sweet, that is a good verse - I think the line about claiming you'll be praying for people is especially relevant for our family here.

remember: azaela's