2.19.2007

Weekend Wrap Up

Friday night I watched "The Constant Gardner," again with Matt. What a stellar movie. The movie is like a slow burn, you don't realize how much its impacting you until you are considerably into it, and before you know it, the fim has left its mark. It is a love story masked in the template of a global conpiracy. The movie has a surprising amount to say about both love and the current impact of large corporations on the impoverished in Africa. Throughout the film you see the love and courage of Tessa (Rachel Weisz) awaken her husband Justin (Ralph Fiennes) from a life bound by policy and inaction to a desire for truth and transformation in a world being drained of life for the sake of the wealth and power of a few. Check it out.

Saturday morning I had a make up class because of Wednesday's snow and found that I enjoy class so much better during that time. My ability to focus on financial management was far superior than when I arrive at class at 6pm after a full day of work. I also think it helps that my work week is complete so I don't have anything hanging over my head.

Sunday was a cool day for me in that, I got to sitback at both Storytellers and Crosstrainers and listen to 2 solid teachings. Hannah shared Sunday morning and hit the ball out of the park while teaching through the Good Samaritan. She did a great job putting a fresh twist on the story, being vulnerable from her own life, and encouraging good interaction with the kids.
Sunday night, Andy Holt shared with the boys of Crosstrainers on sex. He did a great job of engaging the guys right where they were at, challenging them through the scripture, and being provocative with a purpose. Lines like, "you can use your penis as an instrument of righteousness," and "your penis size doesn't define you," are great launching points for transformative conversations with 15 year old guys in this area.

Also, I think some of my bball skills are coming back. good weekend

1 comment:

m@77#&w 13. said...

i like the turn you noticed from when fiennes makes the shift from diplomat to activist...powerful...