2.21.2007

Joining with the Saints



Today, Ash Wednesday, marks the beginning of lent. This beautiful, simple season of restraint which allows further room for the voice of God is a favorite of mine. Each of the past 2 years has launched a significant movement in my life.
During my reading in 2005 God pushed me towards establishing a Sabbath.

If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day,if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD's holy day honorable,and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,then you will find your joy in the LORD, and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob. "The mouth of the LORD has spoken


Last year during my trip to London and Rome with Chris I felt God pushing me towards urban ministry and sensed that it was time to wind down my commitment to Heritage. I also recognized that I loved Hannah and was going to marry her. Who knows what this year will bring.


During lent I like to make adjustments in 3 areas.
1. I abstain from something that could potentially master me to hand over lordship of that area to Jesus. This year it is alcohol.
2. I cut something out of my life to create space for extended times or prayer, meditation, and and reading the scripture. This year it is any sports. No sports on tv, the internet, or the radio. Total abstinence.
3. I fill the new space I have with a new habit. This year I will be reviving the habit of reciting the Jesus prayer and the Lords prayer 100 times. each morning when I wake and at night before I sleep. Repitition has a powerful impact on helping me stay humble and expectant. I'll also be reading the Divine Hours as often as possible.

No comments: