11.19.2005

seminar magic

so I'm getting really good at picking seminars, so far, I'm 3 for 3!!!

Marko/Rant by a Runt - 7.5 out of 10
Tony Cammpolo/apologetics for student ministers - A Surprising 9 out of 10 (he really hit the new apologetic issues on the head, plus when you've been around as long as Tony you have this cache of great stories and quotes that you can pull from, and while everyone knows Tony's used them numerous times, they are incredibly powerful)
Chuck Bomars/Discipling College Age Volunteers - 7 out of 10

I learned a few things after last years 50/50 experience.

1. Send interns to seminars you think could be useful, but potentially boring
2. Stay away from seminars by guys who run a bunch of their own conferences and speak during 90% of the sessions.....and are self promoters beyond compare
3. Go to seminars that address issues in your ministry, not ones that pitch new ideas which maybe you could embrace.
4. If I think, "oh, thats something I'm good at, maybe it will make me better," it probably won't. It is going to be base level. That is how I make my decisions and it has worked out well for me.

1 comment:

gavin richardson said...

those are some great guidelines for picking seminars.. i just opted to not go to any and pick up cd's of people i know are not pitching anything and think at challenging levels. maybe some of that can fit into next years guidelines