6.09.2006

occupying my time

so here is a smattering of what has been filling my time other than being real sick the last 2 weeks.

Books

Spiritual Care by Dietrich Bonhoeffer: a Fantastic book for ministers on spiritual care of the individual in the congregation. He has some profound insights on the role of the pastor in proclaiming God's Word into ones lives and allowing Christ to meet the individual and bring true healing. He really stresses the importance of insuring the obedient lifestyle of all those being cared for as the beginning place of all healing. You can tell he was a man who had sat down with many folks and knew how to see through thin confessions to the true matters of the heart and he was not afraid to speak law and gospel into them, much like Jesus with the adulteress. I appreciate the value he places on confidentiality for the minister and how it must be something kept even from the family. He urges that the parsonage should be a place any member of the body can walk into and trust that they haven't been "talked," about.

BodyPrayer by Doug Pagitt: a Great little book that takes a look at joining our physical bodies in our prayer. I have experienced the blessing of this in my own life previously and it is fun to read a little more about it. The book has about 30 different prayer postures with accompanying prayers and acripture texts along with journal space. So far, I've been hanging out with the posture for healing. I have been finding my whole being much more engaged in prayer. I like books that include practical elements to help you engage in your spirituality versus just being a book of theory.

Something Under the Bed is Drooling by Bill Watterson Classic Calvin and Hobbes is great reading right after I've popped 2 vicodin at about 11 at night or when Bonhoeffer is way too wordy and theologically inclined for my sickened state.

Music: Surprisingly, I haven't listened to muc, I've been preferring silence.

Athlete - Vehicles and Animals A decent Brit Pop album that gets a little silly with some of its synthy experimentation, but You Got the Style still has one of the best pop hooks I've heard in years.

Tom Conlon - Country Dog City Boy a great acoustic artist that my buddy Chris turned me onto. His simple songs really connect with my heart and their mellow nature is nice for my weakened state

Movies: again, only seen 4...even with being in bed for 2 weeks - if you have any suggestions not too much has seemed appealing.

Munich I'd give it 3 stars. It held my attention, Eric Bana gave a good performance and any Spielberg film is pretty. It had some intense moments, but it never quite captured my heart or seemed to have something that profound to say.

8 Mile It doesn't get much better than the VH1 edited version of an Eminem movie. I've never heard so many voices dubbed over or seen so many people flip each other the bird and forget to put their middle fingers up. Still, while this movie drags a little bit 2/3 of the way through, the closing is still one of the better climaxes I've ever seen to a movie. The rap battle at the end is like watching a great sports match, it makes you want to go out and learn how to be the best yourself. Curtis Hanson directs, (the same guy who made the masterful LA Confidential) and you can tell the movie has the touch of a great director, and while he was playing himself, Eminem doesn't do all that bad.

No Way Back A Russell Crowe, $5.00 WalMart bin classic. You know you are watching a good B movie when the opening scene included bearded and bald pierced and tattooed men with golf clubs, machete's, baseball bats, and axes walking down an alley after a scooter pulling a red wagon with a large box on it eerily comes to a stop in front of a cowering homeless man on a foggy night. And the action only continues from there..... Really not too bad, it held my attention, maybe even more than that Russell Crow bomb, Proof of Life.

The Constant Gardener I don't know how I feel about Ralph Fiennes in any movie, and I don't know why. But, he does a good job. Also, Rachel Weiss definitely gives her best acting job ever. It was nice to see her in a role with some substance and spunk. I really liked the love story. The journey to discover faithfulness is a cool one. Also, the beauty of Africa was haunting. The cinematographers did a great job.

No comments: